Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Long Beach, WA

I love Long Beach, Washington. This darling town of 1300 residents is located on the coast of the Pacific Ocean not far from where Lewis & Clark made their pivotal journey in 1805 and discovered they had "reached the coast".

When I was a child my parents took us to Long Beach several times over the years spending several days in Cabin #7 at the Long Beach Motel. While the motel still stands today - I believe it is called the Boulevard Motel now. When I escaped a few precious moments from my over-protective parents, I would play in the sand behind the cabin, think about all the treasures and freaky items they had on display at Marsh's Museum, or swing on the swing sets. It was my favorite place to visit as a child. An innocent time with home cooked meals in the cabin, sandy shoes and wet bathing suits drying on the line.

In today's edition of The News Tribune there is an article about a woman who was shot and killed by her former boyfriend in Long Beach, not long ago. This reality is not as sweet as playing in the sand or searching for salt water taffy among the assorted bins in the candy store. This reality brings me great sadness. Another true story of a woman trying to escape the horror of domestic violence; an abusive boyfriend from whom a restraining order does not protect. I pray for protection of other nameless women - to be protected for such a tragedy. It is my passion to continue to support the YWCA Pierce County who assist women and children who have been able to escape domestic violence. I pray for happiness in flying kites, visiting Jake the Alligator Man, making sand castles, riding the Go Karts and buying donuts from the Long Beach Bakery - which is all that should happen while you are visiting Long Beach, Washington

No comments: